Storeria is a genus of colubrid snakes. The genus consists of four species, three of which are known as brown snakes, and the other is known as the redbelly snake. They are found primarily in the United States and Mexico but range as far north as southern Canada, and as far south as Central America. The genus is named in honor of American physician and zoologist David Humphreys Storer (1804 - 1891).
As their common name implies, most snakes of the genus Storeria are a variant of brown in color. The brown can vary depending on locale, to be almost a brick red in color, to nearly black. They sometimes have a lighter colored stripe down the center of the back, and small black blotches along the body, and just behind the head. Their underside is usually lighter brown colored, yellow, or in the case of redbelly snakes, reddish in color. They rarely grow beyond 12 inches in length. One of the best means of identification is by its scales. Snakes in the genus Storeria have keeled scales. On the head there is no loreal scale and the postnasal scale touches the preocular scale. So, there are only two scales between the nasal opening and the eye.
Within their range, they are a very commonly found species of snake. They are most frequently found under leaf litter or debris piles, and are sometimes turned up during gardening. They consume a variety of invertebrate prey, including, earthworms, snails and slugs.
- brown snake, Storeria dekayi
- Storeria dekayi anomala Dugés, 1888
- Northern brown snake, Storeria dekayi dekayi (Holbrook, 1836)
- marsh brown snake, Storeria dekayi limnetes Anderson, 1961
- Storeria dekayi temporalineata Trapido, 1944
- Texas brown snake, Storeria dekayi texana Trapido, 1944
- Storeria dekayi tropica Cope, 1885
- Florida brown snake, Storeria dekayi victa Hay, 1892
- Midland brown snake, Storeria dekayi wrightorum Trapido, 1944
- Mexican yellowbelly brown snake, Storeria hidalgoensis Taylor, 1942
- redbelly snake, Storeria occipitomaculata (Storer, 1839)
- Mexican brown snake, Storeria storerioides (Cope, 1866)
- Houston Herpetological Society: Visual Key to the Snakes of Harris County, Texas
- Template:EMBL genus
- Brown Snake - Storeria dekayi Species account from the Iowa Reptile and Amphibian Field GuideTemplate:Colubrids-stub